What do Upholsterers do?
Make, repair, or replace upholstery for household furniture or transportation vehicles.
- Fit, install, and secure material on frames, using hand tools, power tools, glue, cement, and/or staples.
- Build furniture up with loose fiber stuffing, cotton, felt, and/or foam padding to form smooth rounded surfaces.
- Examine furniture frames, upholstery, springs, and webbing to locate defects.
- Attach fasteners, grommets, buttons, buckles, ornamental trim, and other accessories to covers or frames, using hand tools.
- Remove covering, webbing, padding, and/or defective springs from workpieces, using hand tools such as hammers and tack pullers.
- Read work orders, and apply knowledge and experience with materials in order to determine types and amounts of materials required to cover workpieces.
- Draw cutting lines on material following patterns, templates, sketches, or blueprints, using chalk, pencils, paint, or other methods.
- Make, restore, and/or create custom upholstered furniture, using hand tools and knowledge of fabrics and upholstery methods.
- Measure and cut new covering materials, using patterns and measuring and cutting instruments, following sketches and design specifications.
- Maintain records of time required to perform each job.
- Discuss upholstery fabrics, colors, and styles with customers, and provide cost estimates.
- Repair furniture frames and refinish exposed wood.
- Operate sewing machines or sew upholstery by hand to seam cushions and join various sections of covering material.
- Pick up and deliver furniture.
- Interweave and fasten strips of webbing to the backs and undersides of furniture, using small hand tools and fasteners.
- Sew rips or tears in material, or create tufting, using needles and thread.
- Attach bindings or apply solutions to edges of cut material to prevent raveling.
- Adjust or replace webbing, padding, and/or springs, and secure them in place.
- Stretch webbing and fabric, using webbing stretchers.
- Design upholstery cover patterns and cutting plans, based on sketches, customer descriptions, or blueprints.
- Make, repair, and/or replace automobile upholstery and convertible and vinyl tops, using knowledge of fabric and upholstery methods.
- Collaborate with interior designers to decorate rooms and coordinate furnishing fabrics.
Related Jobs (Upholsterers)