What do Fashion Designers do?
Design clothing and accessories. Create original designs or adapt fashion trends.
- Direct and coordinate workers involved in drawing and cutting patterns and constructing samples or finished garments.
- Examine sample garments on and off models; then modify designs to achieve desired effects.
- Sketch rough and detailed drawings of apparel or accessories, and write specifications such as color schemes, construction, material types, and accessory requirements.
- Confer with sales and management executives or with clients in order to discuss design ideas.
- Identify target markets for designs, looking at factors such as age, gender, and socioeconomic status.
- Attend fashion shows and review garment magazines and manuals in order to gather information about fashion trends and consumer preferences.
- Select materials and production techniques to be used for products.
- Provide sample garments to agents and sales representatives, and arrange for showings of sample garments at sales meetings or fashion shows.
- Adapt other designers' ideas for the mass market.
- Purchase new or used clothing and accessory items as needed to complete designs.
- Visit textile showrooms to keep up-to-date on the latest fabrics.
- Collaborate with other designers to coordinate special products and designs.
- Design custom clothing and accessories for individuals, retailers, or theatrical, television, or film productions.
- Determine prices for styles.
- Draw patterns for articles designed; then cut patterns, and cut material according to patterns, using measuring instruments and scissors.
- Develop a group of products and/or accessories, and market them through venues such as boutiques or mail-order catalogs.
- Read scripts and consult directors and other production staff in order to develop design concepts and plan productions.
- Test fabrics or oversee testing so that garment care labels can be created.
- Sew together sections of material to form mockups or samples of garments or articles, using sewing equipment.
- Research the styles and periods of clothing needed for film or theatrical productions.
Related Jobs (Fashion Designers)