What do Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers do?
Set up, operate, or tend machines that extrude and form continuous filaments from synthetic materials, such as liquid polymer, rayon, and fiberglass.
- Remove excess, entangled, or completed filaments from machines, using hand tools.
- Set up, operate, or tend machines that extrude and form filaments from synthetic materials such as rayon, fiberglass, or liquid polymers.
- Load materials into extruding and forming machines, using hand tools, and adjust feed mechanisms to set feed rates.
- Start metering pumps and observe operation of machines and equipment to ensure continuous flow of filaments extruded through spinnerettes and to detect processing defects.
- Move controls to activate and adjust extruding and forming machines.
- Record details of machine malfunctions.
- Notify other workers of defects, and direct them to adjust extruding and forming machines.
- Press buttons to stop machines when processes are complete or when malfunctions are detected.
- Observe flow of finish across finish rollers, and turn valves to adjust flow to specifications.
- Observe machine operations, control boards, and gauges to detect malfunctions such as clogged bushings and defective binder applicators.
- Open cabinet doors to cut multifilament threadlines away from guides, using scissors.
- Press metering-pump buttons and turn valves to stop flow of polymers.
- Remove polymer deposits from spinnerettes and equipment, using silicone spray, brass chisels, and bronze-wool pads.
- Clean and maintain extruding and forming machines, using hand tools.
- Pass sliver strands through openings in floors to workers on floors below who wind slivers onto tubes.
- Turn petcocks to adjust the flow of binding fluid to sleeves.
- Turn rheostats to obtain specified temperatures in electric furnaces where glass is melted.
- Record operational data on tags, and attach tags to machines.
- Lower pans inside cabinets to catch molten filaments until flow of polymer through packs has stopped.
- Pull extruded fiberglass filaments over sleeves where binding solution is applied, then into grooves of graphite shoes that bind filaments into single strands of sliver.
- Wipe finish rollers with cloths and wash finish trays with water when necessary.
Related Jobs (Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers)