What do Dentists, General do?
Examine, diagnose, and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting oral hygiene and retention of teeth. May fit dental appliances or provide preventive care.
- Administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
- Use masks, gloves and safety glasses to protect themselves and their patients from infectious diseases.
- Examine teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, or other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments.
- Formulate plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue.
- Use air turbine and hand instruments, dental appliances and surgical implements.
- Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, or malformations of teeth, gums, or related oral structures and provide preventive or corrective services.
- Advise or instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, or oral health care services.
- Treat exposure of pulp by pulp capping, removal of pulp from pulp chamber, or root canal, using dental instruments.
- Write prescriptions for antibiotics or other medications.
- Design, make, or fit prosthodontic appliances, such as space maintainers, bridges, or dentures, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for denturists or dental technicians.
- Fill pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials.
- Remove diseased tissue, using surgical instruments.
- Analyze or evaluate dental needs to determine changes or trends in patterns of dental disease.
- Apply fluoride or sealants to teeth.
- Perform oral or periodontal surgery on the jaw or mouth.
- Eliminate irritating margins of fillings and correct occlusions, using dental instruments.
- Manage business, employing and supervising staff and handling paperwork and insurance claims.
- Bleach, clean, or polish teeth to restore natural color.
- Plan, organize, or maintain dental health programs.
- Produce or evaluate dental health educational materials.
Related Jobs (Dentists, General)