What do Craft Artists do?
Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, pottery, and needlecraft.
- Create functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials.
- Cut, shape, fit, join, mold, or otherwise process materials, using hand tools, power tools, and/or machinery.
- Attend craft shows to market products.
- Select materials for use based on strength, color, texture, balance, weight, size, malleability and other characteristics.
- Apply finishes to objects being crafted.
- Develop concepts or creative ideas for craft objects.
- Set specifications for materials, dimensions, and finishes.
- Confer with customers to assess customer needs or obtain feedback.
- Fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
- Create prototypes or models of objects to be crafted.
- Sketch or draw objects to be crafted.
- Advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures.
- Develop product packaging, display and pricing strategies.
- Research craft trends, venues, and customer buying patterns in order to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
- Develop designs using specialized computer software.
Related Jobs (Craft Artists)