What do Butchers and Meat Cutters do?
Cut, trim, or prepare consumer-sized portions of meat for use or sale in retail establishments.
- Wrap, weigh, label and price cuts of meat.
- Prepare and place meat cuts and products in display counter, so they will appear attractive and catch the shopper's eye.
- Prepare special cuts of meat ordered by customers.
- Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality.
- Shape, lace, and tie roasts, using boning knife, skewer, and twine.
- Estimate requirements and order or requisition meat supplies to maintain inventories.
- Supervise other butchers or meat cutters.
- Record quantity of meat received and issued to cooks and/or keep records of meat sales.
- Negotiate with representatives from supply companies to determine order details.
- Cure, smoke, tenderize and preserve meat.
- Total sales, and collect money from customers.
Related Jobs (Butchers and Meat Cutters)